Sunday 18 May 2014

SDE Riftling Rogue [WIP - Skin and Hair]

On to my second Super Dungeon Explore board game piece and I have hit a roadblock in my attempt to make each chibi-style anime figure cuter than the next. With her red eyes, it will be quite difficult to make the Riftling Rouge look cute and adorable. But I am sure it will be fun to try anyway.

Super Dungeon Explore Riftling Rogue [WIP - Skin and Hair]
Playing card art of the Riftling Rogue on which I am basing the colour scheme

Learning my lesson from an earlier too-clever-by-half effort to incorporate textured fur into a anime colour scheme, I made sure not to repeat the same mistake twice. So for the Riftling Rogue's white hair, I didn't go overboard with hair-like texture but instead just made light paint strokes - not too overpowering, just enough - to denote hair volume and depth. Meanwhile, her skin was painted greyish purple in what I hope is a good approximation of the colours shown in her playing card art.  

Greyish purple was used to depict the Riftling Rogue's skin
Eye socket was painted reddish purple as a basecoat for the eventual pupil

In a reverse of how I usually paint eyes, the Super Dungeon Explore Riftling Rogue's eye socket has been basecoated with the colours of her iris instead of sclera. This means I will need to paint the sclera next i.e. putting in the whites at the either side of the eye socket. Rather than any clever technique, this was a just a simple mistake on my part. I had initially thought her whole eye was red. Still, painting negative space should be an interesting experience in painting the eyes of a miniature.  

Very light shading on the Super Dungeon Explore Rfitling Rogue's white hair

Well, the easy part is over and now come the hard parts such as the Riftling Rogue's eyes, weapons, etc. It will be difficult for me to paint non-metallic metal (NMM) on such small knives so I do not expect much success on that front as I am still a very long way off from mastering NMM. So why do NMM at all? I believe a badly done NMM is still preferable to using pure metallic paint as that would stick out like a sore thumb in an anime colour scheme that comprises largely of flat colours. So then, as Julius Ceasar once said when crossing the Rubicon... jacta alea est. NMM is has to be and NMM it will be. Till my next post, stay healthy and have a pleasant week ahead.

8 comments:

  1. very funny, i like it!
    i think she's not too spooky, even with red eyes.
    well done, waiting for more.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ... now that you mentioned it, I guess it's very hard for a chibi character to look very scary. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice. I learnt something there about the hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to put shadows on white without making it look dull. It's easier for this miniatures due to the availability of a colour scheme reference.

      Delete
  3. Really nice , very funny model .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Riftling Rogue is certainly a unique character.

      Delete
  4. It already looks adorable, no worries :) Great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam. Big eyes are certainly a help in the adorable department. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...